Thursday, January 13, 2011

Workplace Values

Great day beloveds!

Well, i spent an hour on the first blog, lost it, so here is a shortened version of today's lesson. The lesson itself is so powerful because I think we all have been there, done that!

The author states, " behaving in ways that feel compliant rather than authentic in order to keep a job or gain a promotion can add huge stress to your life". And yet, who among us has not done that or felt that? We can't really say what we feel about the company, or our boss, or the unwritten policies because we don't want to rock the boat, or stand out negatively, or worse, loose our job!

How do you maintain your inner integrity and your job at the same time? Well, you just might have to be courageous enough to find a way to be authentic in your values and true to yourself and to bring those same qualities to your work environment. It is when we try to separate who we are from what we are doing that we find challenges or conflict between our stated values and visible actions!

The questions for today are:
. Do you have any internal conflict of values in your work environment? And if so, how are you handling it? How is it affecting you?

The questions the author posed at the beginning of this lesson are oh so powerful so be sure to address them:
. Did you choose your current profession, or did other people or life choose for you?
. How do you behave toward colleagues, bosses, clients and customers?
. How do you view your paid work in relation to all other areas of your life?
. Is your "work" your primary identification?i.e. (lawyer, teacher, secretary...)
. Do you give your best self to work, and bring home what's left over?

Well, have a great day and work "with Spirit"!
Rev. Sylvia

1 comment:

  1. Life choose my current profession but it wasn't that far off and I was excited about my new path. I treat people in my work life, just as I would anyone else; realizing they are a child of God, like myself, and are worthy of my respect. My paid work, right now, is not the most exciting thing that I've done in my life, and at times, I view it as a barrier; keeping me from my freedom. In actuality, it is a stepping stone to get me to where I want to be. My "job" is not my primary identification, but my Work is. My Work is tied into my life's mission. What I'm paid to do is a means to and end. After I've worked 8.5 hrs and dealt with the beltway the self I've brought home is my tired self, but I try to re-energize and refocus with Spirit.

    ReplyDelete