Monday, December 20, 2010

What do you stand for?

Greetings Beloved Ones!

There's no knowing "who you are" until you also know "what you stand for". When I ask people what it is they value I life, I usually get the commonly and socially acceptable answers like, love, kindness, honesty, etc.

We all want to have the values society says we ade supposed to have, especially if we want to be seen as a "good" person. The more appropriate question is whether we are conscious of the values that are actually driving us and causing us to have the experiences and reactions we do.

The questions for the day are:
. What do you stand for?
. What are the values that drive/move you to act a certain way? (examine all your actions not just the ones you like)
. Are they life-enhancing? Do they include other people's interest and needs as well as your own?
. Are your values taking you where you most want to go?
. Are your values your own? Or have you borrowed them from other people?

Action Step: Notice your actions and reactions today and identify your values that influenced your actions.

Make it a great day!
Rev. Sylvia

2 comments:

  1. I can proudly say that my values are, indeed, my own. Principles of Truth have expanded and/or validated what I stand for. Membership in Unity WDC and living in this political town have provide opportunities to apply some of my values in the interest of others. Yet, this lesson forces me to look at areas where I may occasionally compromise some of my values - but therein lies the chance to tighten them up and increase reflection of my standards of behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My values are in constant expansion. The more I surround myself with individuals with values of Honesty, respect and integrity the more I am aware that these too are my values. When situations present themselves when I need to compromise my values…it is then when I am provided with opportunities to see what I really stand for. In 90% or more of the times, I am satisfied that I make choices which honor my values. I continue to work at the areas where my values need further strengthening as to be guided by my values during every choice. I need only remember…it is me who does the choosing.

    ReplyDelete