Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Your Listening History

Greetings Beloved Ones!

I came from a family that loved to talk. Everybody had an opinion about everything and anything. And, often times we talked over one another. You needed to talk fast and loud if you wanted to be heard.

While it was fun joining in the conversations at family gatherings and I learned to value critical thinking and deep analysis, I also learned to make sure your point was made and heard. I'm not sure that last part always works to one's benefit. Sometimes it is best to just listen!

. What was communication like in your family?
. Do you often feel heard or unheard in conversations?
. In group settings, are you forthcoming or laid back?

Well, make it a valuable day! I can hear you!
Rev. Sylvia

1 comment:

  1. I was surrounded by lots of love and support as a child, but those were different times, when children were seen and not heard. I was also shy and quiet, but I am certain I would have been heard if I had something to say. I didn’t gain a sense of independence and confidence until I became an adult. That loving foundation supported my evolvement into someone who usually has too much to say. (smile)

    Unfortunately, the tone in my family is historically very gruff. Regardless of what was being said, it always sounds like fussin’. Awareness helps me understand how I can be perceived and how to look for the intention behind what I’m hearing - at least in my family.

    ReplyDelete