Thursday, March 31, 2011

How to deal with a painful situation

God's Day to you!

If you experience some type of painful situation is your response usually to mull it over and over in your mind? Do you replay the situation or the conversation or the scene? Do you hold yourself and others hostage to your pain?

When deeply hurt, we have to find healthy ways to deal with the pain, otherwise it will color and affect our interactions and experience of the world.

The author of the book, "choosing happiness" says we should wrtie down our feelings, our attitudes, how we think the situation is going to affect us for the rest of our lives, how will we be changed, wha does it mean for the future, etc. Then.....go back in a few days read your statements and write two new lists; one titled "Helpful Attitudes" and one titled "Hurtful Attitudes"' the see on which list all of your responses from your first writing fall into! Boy will you get some clarity!

So....How do you handle your pain? What is your process?

Make it a valuable day!
Rev. Sylvia

1 comment:

  1. Often time I shut down, don't ask the right questions and just avoid the situation all together. I'm very prone to replaying things in my head, reciting the dialog as if it were a performance, feeling the emotions again and again. Sometimes I convince myself that I don't care and walk away, but deep down I usually need closure if I really care. A dose of pride can get thrown in there as well and I become stubborn.

    ReplyDelete